Thursday, July 23, 2009

NICU Graduate Clinic update...

We had our first double doctor's appointment yesterday--to the NICU Grad clinic. UK's NICU has a follow-up program for all of the long-term patients. We take Amelia monthly, and Anderson every 2 months, for a visit. During the visit, the babies see a dietician, a social worker, a neonatologist, and possibly a physical therapist/occupational therapist. The purpose is to monitor the babies' development, which we really appreciate because we're first-time parents, and we have no idea what is normal, and what isn't. We were a bit nervous about taking both babies to the doctor at the same time, but it was just fine. Both were pretty tired, hungry, and fussy by the time we left, but overall it went well!

Here's the scoop on the babies:

Anderson: The doctor was THRILLED with his development! She said he didn't even remotely look or act like a preemie, which was music to my ears. He weighs just over 12 pounds, which is still small, considering he's 3 1/2 months adjusted, but they were not concerned at all. Since he sleeps through the night, his weight gain has slowed some, but they are okay with that (and we're so glad!). He has some increased tone, which is extremely, extremely common in preemies, but they were very happy with his head control and motor skills, which was awesome because I've been SO concerned about that! He looked so good that the doctor said he doesn't have to go back until APRIL! That will be when he is 1 year adjusted! Very exciting; one less doctor's appointment is a good thing in my book!

And speaking of Anderson...we have exciting news! Anderson can now ROLL OVER (belly to back)!! I'm sure a lot of you moms to term babies think this is no big deal, or that he's doing this a little late, but for a preemie, this is FANTASTIC! Especially with his increased tone issues. I have to confess that I did another little "boot camp" kind of thing, where we worked on it for a few days--we went from me guiding him to roll over, to me kind of helping him get on his side, to him just doing it all on his own. He loves doing it, and always smiles as soon as he flips--he hates tummy time, and loves when we cheer for him after he rolls. Such a cutie!1

Amelia: Amelia weighs about 5 1/2 pounds now. She is gaining so slowly, but steadily. In fact, her rate of gain increased this past month, which is good. She's just so petite all over that she's not going to be able to gain much faster than that. They want us to start weaning her from her oxygen (that's a whole other story altogether), which scares the living daylights out of me. We were told to start immediately by having it off while she's awake, but I'm going to wait until Monday, after her cardiologist appointment, to even consider doing it. The cardiologist seemed to think oxygen was a good idea for her right now, so if he thinks it's important, it's not coming off quite yet. I'll add more about all of that after her appointment on Monday. They also want us to start mixing her 24 calorie formula with some 27 calorie formula, which I hesitate to do because she has such a sensitive stomach. I agreed to give it a shot, with the disclaimer that, if she starts puking again, I stop immediately. We haven't started that because yesterday she had some stomach issues (both ends, actually)--maybe some kind of stomach bug? I don't know...but I'm not changing anything right now. Overall, though, they were pleased with her development as well. She'll go back in a month for another oxygen check. We felt good about the visit, overall!!

I've been wanting to add some videos, and this seems like a good time! I have to add a little sidenote, though--I am SUPER annoying! I try so hard not to talk much when I video the babies, but if I don't talk and distract them, they just stare at the camera. I wish I didn't sound so "hick", or so screechy, but I guess I'm just both of those things. Please forgive the annoying mommy in the background!!

Here's Amelia waking up and smiling/talking a little bit. She usually has more to say, but the camera totally distracts her:


Here's Anderson rolling over:

No comments:

Post a Comment